Day 83: If You Ever Come to India...

I LOVE this place!! I don't know what else to say... because all I can think to write today is that India is a beautiful place with so many things to learn and so many loving people. It's not something I can really express in writing so you will have to come here one day to feel it for yourself!

And if you do come here then I have a few suggestions for you:

#1. Plan to not only visit tourist sights.. plan to live for a few weeks (or months) in one place so you can get to know a few people and get to see day-to-day life.

... You really can't/won't love India if you stay for a short while and only see the sights... because if you do that then you might come away with the impression that India is a place where everyone is trying to rip you off and where things are dirty. You might not like it. But it is so not that way!! Yes, a lot of people will try to rip you off (because they have thought their whole lives that it is okay to do that) and yes there is more trash and dirt here.
But after being here for three months (which is still a very short amount of time) I have met many generous and good-hearted people. And you get used to the 'dirtiness' after a while. Especially here in Vizag, I've realized that this city is very well looked after! It is quite clean! I appreciate it much more now.

#2. Even though you have to be harsh and bold sometimes with people don't let it go to far. 

People are people and a teaspoon of patience and willingness to understand goes a long way! Sometimes I feel really snobby when we are around a group of boys or men and we have to act like we aren't at all interested. This is a good precaution because we DON'T want them to think we are 'interested'. But in some instances it's okay to open up for a moment. For example, today we went shopping at this big bazaar. Usually we act all tough and severe when we go shopping because then the bazaar people can tell that it isn't our first time bartering and they shouldn't take advantage of us. It doesn't always work though... today it definitely wasn't working. So I tried a new tactic with one of the jewelry vendors. I decided to chat with him for a little bit first. We chatted (as much as possible, since he didn't speak much English and I speak no Telugu)... but by the end he had sold me the jewelry I wanted for pretty cheap. It was like we were buds! It felt nice to be human beings together for a little bit. I was also reminded that people vendors try to sell things for more because they really aren't that well off. They have to make money somehow! It helps to remember that.

and

#3. Give gifts. 
People love gifts here and it has kind of revived the gift giving spirit in me. It's not so much about giving someone a material thing. People here really appreciate the thought behind a good gift. Gifts given even to a distant friend or new acquaintance are common. From my own experience, it feels so special to think that someone sacrificed a little something so they could give you something. That something is a symbol! It reminded me that gifts can remind people that you value them. It doesn't have to be anything big or fancy or worth money-- but it shows people that you think about them and know something about what you like. And if you travel to India and give gifts to some of the people you become friends/family with then you will see just how loving Indian people can be! They amaze me :)


Beautiful souls!


Again, time is flying to fast for my liking. My list of things I will miss is growing longer and longer... Is it okay to say that as much as I want to come back, I don't want to come back?

See, I'm conflicted ;)

Love,

Stéf

Ps. Today I accomplished two big things:

First, I managed make my horrible sandal tan three times worse (haha)

and Second, I got a new pair of glasses :) For 27 dollars--frame and lenses!! I'll post a picture when they are in my possession. They are quite different and rather Indian style:D I'll tell you the story of them on Tuesday next week (when I get them)

Comments

Popular Posts