Not Only Possible, But Done!

“And a beautiful world we live in, when it is possible, and when many other such things are possible, and not only possible, but done-- done, see you!-- under that sky there, every day.” 
A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens


I often feel lost in the many things that should be done and ought to be done and have yet to be done. The list is endless as of late. In retrospect I set myself up for this--and now I am learned that human beings have limits. But every day and every week I marvel that somehow things get done in time and life goes on--whether the sky is blue or grey or dark as night. 

Okay. You're right a lot of the time it's not perfect. I could have used more time to write that part of my thesis; I could have gotten more sleep; I would have enjoyed the time to go swimming or to go on a run. But I see miracles in what I've been able to do in the last two semesters. I am making it--despite having taken on too much. 

There are so many things to be done. And I often don't know how to prioritize. I want to be a lawyer. Oh, and get an MPA. Oh, and get married and raise a family. And be a loyal friend and sister and daughter. And read all the books in the world. And travel absolutely everywhere. And rock climb all the mountains. And serve in my community. And soo many other things...

How to decide what is most important then? 

Ezra Taft Benson once said, 

When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims of our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities.
Conference Report (April 1988), 13. Lds.org.

I'd like to do big things; and big things are very possible. But perhaps the biggest things lie closest to where I am? Like in building friendships and family and loving the Lord and being at peace. I think that's what I'm learning right now. Maybe, just maybe. 


Comments

Popular Posts